Thursday 18 August 2016

Cover Love #11

Hello folks! Another week gone by...how is August treating you? This is Hira here and since the two knuckleheads who are doing this week's commentary are too lazy to come up with an intro (*can't blame them..they are drained writing the huge essays under each cover),  here I am doing the very important and in fact, the most important task of welcoming you to Cover Love #11



So let us start!


Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie | Cover Love
Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie

Zoella: Yes, I know, I was supposed to pick just one book, not an entire trilogy. But, how can you say no to these amazing covers. These have definitely been influential in getting me into the world of cover designing. The covers are simple, elegant and powerful and when placed side by side unfolds the whole theme in front of you. And the font is so unique and amazing. Love it.

Inia: Love love love love love. I love it!! Everything about these covers is absolutely brilliant. The colour transition from a mellow green to the fiery red seems so symbolic to the theme the pictures on the cover portray. Like, I would guess the meek, trapped girl on the cover has metamorphosed to a free, confident woman by the end of the trilogy. The font goes perfectly with the simplistic elegance the cover art exudes. These are definitely some of the best covers I have seen in a while!
   
Delirium by Lauren Oliver | Cover Love
Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Zoella: This is the revamped version of the bestselling Delirium trilogy. I don't know about you, but this is so much more unique and better looking than the previous cover. Like the Matched trilogy, this also have a main focal point which is the heart made of stone. I haven't read the book yet, but from the blurb, I believe that this one represents the story better. (Roughly saying, it's about a dystopian society where love is considered dangerous and is prohibited)

But, the main problem is that it's hard to identify the genre or what age demographic the story is for in one glance. But, since this book is already a bestseller, it's relatively safe from being affected that much.

Inia: Objectively it's a pretty cover. But it doesn't stand out to me. Great colour scheme though. I like the aqua blue background. It complements that heart on the cover and makes it pop. Yellow for the font is a nice touch too.

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton | Cover Love
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
Zoella: If the title hadn't clued you in, on what the story is going about, then the cover surely will. It's about a rebel (a teenager) in the desert. Yep, that's a bad explanation, I know. First of all, I love the border designs, I don't what they represent, but I have this nagging feeling that they mean something. What do you think it is?

Apart from the beautiful border, we have a starry night sky, a palace, sand dunes, we also have a  rebel riding a horse. I am in love with all the details. Another detail you might have missed is the diamond shaped design which stand sentinel on the author's name. Just seeing this cover makes me so happy.

Inia: I like the font of the title and the picture inside the border. But the border design.... it is too overwhelming. It takes up most of the cover of the book and the huge font takes up the rest. I feel like they should have managed the space more judiciously. Judging by the cover, I would think it was an Arabian Nights type of thing but Zoe says it is about a rebel in the desert. What does that mean? I mean, why would you rebel in the desert of all places? Who's gonna see you? Camels? Sorry, I will get back to criticizing the cover now. I like the blue and gold colour combination on the border even though I don't like the border. It's an ok enough cover, I guess.

Summer Lost by Ally Condie | Cover Love
Summer Lost by Ally Condie
Zoella: Kiersten White and Ally Condie are two extremely lucky authors, in terms of the book covers they've got. I want to buy all their books, just for their covers, they are that gorgeous.

Disclaimer: I don't know if it's Summer Lost or Summerlost. So, for this post's sake, I'm going to refer to the book as Summerlost

First of all the typography, the way the title is treated is pretty spectacular. It gives a feeling of gentleness, of gliding clouds and summer breeze. It was the first thing I noticed about the book. 
The second thing were the two kids, which screams that this book is Middle Grade Fiction. I may never read the book, but the temptation is strong.

The cover promises me happy times, sorrow, heartbreak, friendship and contentment. So, if there are any lovers of Middle Grade here, then please try this book. I have read her Matched Trilogy and judging from that, I think this book will deliver on its promise.

Inia: This cover is evoking nostalgic feelings in me and I don't even know what I'm being nostalgic about. Childhood maybe. I love the cover but it is making me melancholic. It is tugging at my heartstrings probably because I'm getting some vibes from the cover telling me this book is going to be an angsty ride. Summerlost. Definitely sounds angsty. Hira would probably love to cry to death over this book. The cover art is all breezy and serene... too calm.. and that is exactly why I do not trust this book. It looks like something you would pick up thinking "awww look at the cute cover! this is perfect for a light read!" and the next thing you know your eyes are blotched red and snot is running down your nose. Nuh-uh. I'm not taking my chances with this.



Inia: Boring cover. Typical bestseller type cover art. I reaaally don't like it when the author's name and the title takes up the whole of the cover, especially when the font is so basic and unattractive.

Zoella: When I first saw the hardcover of this book(on Instagram), for a moment I thought the book was actually underwater. So, the cover scores a perfect ten on the reality scale, but I don't know how well it represents the genre. But, that said, I love the clean font and the colour gradient used. And the title is pretty self explanatory. Gah, who cares about the genre rules, I love this cover.


 Inia: A beautiful funeral? Good God! Hira selected this, didn't she? She's a dark soul. Beautiful cover though. Specks of colour in an otherwise grey, foreboding background. Goes perfectly with the title; beauty against a dark backdrop. 

Zoella: The background picture is very common and cliche, but the autumn leaves add a dash of colour and vibrancy to the cover. So, thumbs up for that.




Inia: The girl looks a cross between a Wildling and a White Walker (Whaddup Game of Thrones reference!)  Is this a fantasy novel, Zoe? I'm guessing it is. No wonder I don't find it appealing. Also it has such a dull and cold colour palate. I'm feeling chilly just looking at the cover brrr.

Zoella: This book is so my type. I have a soft corner for bluish hues and this one is right up my alley. The story seems to take place in some exotic location. Hmmm, I might try this book. Have you read this book? Would you recommend it.



Inia: Aww I love this! This is the kind of romance novel covers I like. Something which shows an actual relationship with all the cutesy stuff and not the usual 'Imma throw you into this waterfall and ravish you' kind of covers with half naked people all over it. I would read this even though I don't like romance novels(especially not heterosexual ones) just because it looks like it tells the story of a meaningful relationship.

Zoella: Bleh, the cover is too bland for my taste. Hira might like this though.

My favourite covers this week is Matched Trilogy and Delirium.

Inia: My favourite covers of this week are the Matched Trilogy ones.


Hira: Wow...lots of Hira references huh?  Inia, I don't think Summerlost is angsty enough for me...from the look of the cover it seems like the bleh kind of angst.
Beautiful funeral- the irony right? It was the name which attracted me...but also the background, like a cemetery in autumn. (Yes, Inia is right...my soul is dark.)
Artfully Yours- definitely my type of cutsey romance...Jordan may like it too.

So that's it for this week's cover love...go check out these books kids!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think.