Friday 15 July 2016

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater || #reviewfriday

I have to start with a warning. I read this book after much hype, so I can't decide whether it influenced my reading in anyway. But, I will try to give you an unbiased opinion, as much as possible.



Title: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genres: Fantasy, Y.A, Mythology

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.
 

First of all let me say I adored the relationship Puck and Sean shared. There was no Insta Love, she was no Siren that bewitched men and he was no bad boy that seduced woman. They were ordinary teenagers brought together by extraordinary circumstances. They were not made of ink and paper but was made of flesh and blood. The stakes are high, as both Puck and Sean need to win this race, but only one can. Both will lose something precious to them if they even came in second place.

I was skipping through the pages, racing to find out who won, because honestly I couldn't tell how the author was going to give them a happy ending, or if it was even possible.
So, did they get their happy ending? I am not telling you. *evil grin*

The first sentence had hooked me in, but I was underwhelmed by the first few chapters, maybe because I was expecting a more lyrical language. But, then I set aside my expectations and immersed myself in the story. There were so many times I could relate to Puck as a girl, I teared up a bit when she was humiliated but cheered even more when she stood strong. She doesn't have a flawless personality, she is a headstrong girl with short temper. But, I loved her all the more for it.

Sean's character is written so well and their romance ark was written so subtly that you didn't need a secondary character to point out that those two cannot keep their eyes off each other. But, there is no instant love, romance is developed over the entire book( 400+ pages), and blossoms after at least three quarters of it. Which made it more believable for me.

There were so many secondary characters, but they were very well written so that their personality shined at every opportunity you met them. Maggie, is an amazing author. While I prefer a bit more mystery, I think this book was worth my time.

When I finished the book, I was a bit angry, Why were there so many loose ends? But, then I thought back and discovered that there wasn't any. I just had to infer them from earlier conversations and thoughts. So, while I really like d the book, some part of me is a little underwhelmed by it. Side effect of too much hype. Nevertheless, if you are a young adult fantasy fan, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

Rating: 4/5

Now tell me, which book did you read last?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think.