Friday 12 August 2016

The Curse of the Cursed Child | #reviewfriday | Harry Potter and the Cursed Child review

It's been nearly ten years since that summer in 2007 when I waited for the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It was the the saddest and happiest day of my life when I held the hardbound book in my hands.

I thought it was the end and prayed fervently for Rowling to change her mind to write something, anything more about the beautiful magical world she had made. And then Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was released, and now I wish Deathly Hallows had really been the end.

Disappointment is too mild a word for describing the script of Cursed Child. I find it extremely difficult to believe that Rowling is associated with this work. I am sorry to say this, but I have read much better written fan fictions than what is now being called as the 8th book of the Harry Potter franchise.


Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: J.K Rowling, Jack Throne, John Tiffany
Genre: Fantasy


*BEWARE SPOILERS AHEAD*

It was not just one thing which made this book a disaster. From the very beginning a lot of things seemed to be out of character. Hermione Granger is certainly a very good diplomat but the whole idea of her as the Minister of Magic is too much of a fanfic cliche. She appears to be the only strong female in the story. The fact that the book reduced the fiery Ginny Potter to nothing more than a wife was very upsetting. Ron is another character whose importance was stripped away; one of the most important character's in the original book, he has now become mere comic relief.

Also the number of plot holes in the story are overwhelming. Albus gets sorted into Slytherin and Harry is not okay with it, a 180 degree turn from what he had promised. You have to remember that this is the same Harry who named his son after a Slytherin he had despised for most of his teenage years.

And the whole plot line of Voldemort's daughter; I still find it difficult to believe that it is actually a real thing. Like Voldemort did the deed with Bellatrix. (*Really? Couldn't hefind anyone less crazy?*)
As difficult as it is to imagine Voldemort as a father, it's even more difficult to fathom Bellatrix as a mother. Also when exactly did this said pregnancy happen? The book says it was during the time they stayed at the Malfoy Manor, but then how come Bellatrix was running around at the Great War?? (Or is the pregnancy duration different in the magical world?) Anyway, it's too unrealistic.

Also, don't get me started on the time-turners and the alternate worlds they created because it is too much to process. I just want to take a moment to congratulate the people behind this work for putting so much effort into the script and working so hard that they didn't get time to do a simple Google search to find if "Panju" was an actual Indian name.

I wish racial ignorance was the only thing the writers were guilty of. But no, the book kept building up the readers for a Albus-Scorpius romance only to shatter everything with a Scorpius-Rose plot line at last. For a moment, I had felt this was going to be a path-breaker, a story which proudly showed that love came in all shapes and sizes. But nah, that wouldn't sell many copies, I guess.

Overall, the only thing I can truly say I liked about the book is Scorpius Malfoy. He was everything I'd imagined and more. But I hate that they continued to give Draco a negative shade, even though Harry and Draco had patched up their issues in the epilogue of Deathly Hallows. But who cares, right?

Rating: 1/5 (The one is just for Scorpius #cameforalbus #stayedforscorpious)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think.